ONE REMARKABLE HOUR IN HONOUR OF OUR PLANET
March is a humdinger of a month – in addition to green beer for St. Patrick’s Day and the candy crunch of Hershey’s Mini Eggs leading up to Easter, we’re also celebrating Earth Hour, one remarkable hour honouring the planet and taking a stand on climate change. As a LEED-certified project, Markham Square is committed to promoting eco-friendly initiatives like Earth Hour. Read on to see how you can help the planet and the people who live on it, starting with just one hour this month.
WHEN IS EARTH HOUR?
Earth Hour 2018 takes place on Saturday March 24th, from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. local time.
WHAT IS EARTH HOUR?
What started as a symbolic lights out event in Australia in 2007 has become the world’s largest grassroots movement for the environment, inspiring individuals, communities, businesses, and organizations in more than 180 countries to take action on climate change. Today, millions of people around the world choose to participate in Earth Hour by switching off their lights, hosting various events, and leveraging their collective energy and momentum to spark conversation and connect to the earth.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED.
The beauty of Earth Hour is that you can celebrate any way you want. Here are some ideas:
- Host a candle-lit dinner (romance optional).
- Bundle up and head outside to watch the stars.
- Organise a night of board games.
- Screen a movie.
- Gather a group of friends for some restorative yoga.
- Host an Earth Hour party.
- Or, keep it super simple, and just turn out the lights.
The opportunities are endless. Click here to download a toolkit to create your own Earth Hour experience. Make a difference and be part of a movement for change. Even if you’re celebrating solo, you won’t be alone. In 2017, from New York to New Zealand, Paris to Paraguay, over 3,000 landmarks and monuments worldwide switched off their lights.
CONTINUE THE CONVERSATION.
Feeling stoked to help keep the planet healthy? Great! Then why stop at just one hour? You can continue to promote eco-friendly living and reduce your environmental impact every day. Here are six ways to get you started.
- Make use of the Markham Square recycling program to reduce, reuse, and recycle your everyday waste.
- Experiment with a vertical garden on your balcony or terrace, or even indoors, to help clean the air and breathe new life into your living space.
- Give condo-friendly composting a try. (Fun fact: did you know that you can compost dryer lint?)
- Unplug any electronics and appliances you’re not using (exceptions include your alarm clock and your refrigerator, duh).
- Reduce the temperature of your thermostat in the winter and increase it in the summer, even by one degree – save money and dramatically reduce your carbon footprint.
- Buy a water filter and say sayonara to plastic water bottles. Or, better yet, pour yourself a glass of Lake Ontario’s finest.
No one is too small to make a difference. If we all do our part, we can help ensure a healthier, happier future for our community, our city, our planet, and ourselves. Have a great Earth Hour. We’ll see you in the dark